Dinner at Sushi Tei

Friday, April 17, 2015


Had dinner with lw at Sushi Tei the other day and we were such a joke!! Let me tell you about our "kaminabe" story :)

Okay so we wanted to order a dish called "Beef Kaminabe", but we couldn't stop giggling over the word "Kaminabe" because it sounds like a vulgar word (in dialect). By the way, "Kaminabe" literally means 纸锅 in Mandarin, or paper hotpot in English.



The dish is as literal as the name. The hotpot is served on Kaminabe paper (which is burn proof and that is super cool), with fire below it.

From this, you can also prove that the Mandarin idiom "纸是包不住火的 (You can't wrap up fire with paper)" is actually wrong, because Kaminabe paper is burn proof!! Oh by the way, the meaning of the idiom is that no matter how hard you try to keep an incident (probably ugly) under wraps, it will ultimately be exposed someday, somehow.


Anyway back to the story!!

We, being ignorant peeps, kept laughing about the word and we wanted each other to do the ordering because we didn't wanna accidentally say a "bad word" (it was only till I googled the dish at home that I realised that the word is legit. Gosh). Lw was the one who ordered in the end hehe, because I'm very good at whining my way out of stuff =p

After ordering the dish, we couldn't bring ourselves to stop laughing because our 笑点 really very low. End of story. Sorry if you don't find it funny. My humour threshold is really quite low haha!


Soft Shell Crab Maki $6.90

We were sitting at the counter so we took a plate of soft shell crab maki too! It's one my favourite sushi dishes at Sushi Tei :)


Look at the amount of fish roe and soft shell crab! I would have taken another plate if I wasn't too full from the beef paper hotpot.


We also had Chawanmushi, an old-time-favourite <3 Sushi Tei's Chawanmushi has a couple of ingredients inside, including crab meat, chicken bits and mushroom.

Chawanmushi $4.30



This is how the counter looks like at Vivocity's Sushi Tei. It's an open kitchen concept so if you're bored or you just don't feel like talking to your eating partner (lol), you can always kaypoh and watch the chefs do their work :)





I've been to Sushi Tei so many times this year until I feel like its gonna to be my second home in Vivocity =p Maybe I should consider getting the membership card. I think it'll be worth it.


Sushi Tei @Vivocity
Address: 1 Harbour Front Walk, #02-152/153 VivoCity, 098585
Phone: 6376 9591
Website: http://www.sushitei.com/index/index.aspx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

YOUTUBE


INSTAGRAM

FOLLOW ON YOUTUBE